"" Dream To Life: A Green Room for Dr. Bernice King

Monday, August 1, 2011

A Green Room for Dr. Bernice King

Last week I was lucky enough to get to go with my fellow ladies from the interior design store to see Dr. Bernice King, Martin Luther King's daughter, speak at a Youth Life Learning Center event.    The store had been asked to design the green room for Dr. King; a place where she could rest and relax before giving her keynote speech.  

Behold: how to turn a plain, bare ladies locker room into an oasis of calm :>)



I wish there was a before picture to show you.  But if you use your imagination, I'm sure you can see what an amazing transformation it is!  Using a soothing palette of turquoise, silver, black, and white this green room really does bring about a feeling of calm and relaxation.  Everything you see here are pieces from the store.  It was a big installation, but completely worth it.




I was so excited to get to go along the next day to get to meet Dr. King and hear her speak.  YLLC is an amazing organization for "at risk kids focusing on academics, character, and life-skill training".  Dr. King is extremely passionate and dedicated to helping America's "at-risk youth" find their potential and succeed in life.  I was inspired and humbled by what she said and by what she challenged us all to do.

She said God forbid if we go through this life with out making a difference in someone else's.  She said the dash between the date of our birth and the date of our death should be defined by those we've helped along the way.


xo,
k

**Interesting/moving information I came across while researching this project.  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his last speech "I've Been To The Mountaintop" on the April 3, 1968.  After the speech, he was supposed to leave for their next destination, but his plane was delayed due to a bomb threat against it.  At the end of his speech, and in reference to the threat, King closed with this: 

"Well, I don't know what will happen now.  We've got some difficult days ahead.  But it doesn't matter with me now.  Because I've been to the mountaintop.  And I don't mind.  Like anybody, I would like to live a long life.  Longevity has its place.  But I'm not concerned about that now.  I just want to do God's will.  And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.  And I've looked over.  And I've seen the promised land.  I may not get there with you.  But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land.  And I'm happy, tonight.  I'm not worried about anything.  I'm not fearing any man.  Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

He died the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. The room is beautiful, but the words are amazing.

    ReplyDelete