"" Dream To Life: Sesame Chicken with Snowpeas

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sesame Chicken with Snowpeas

I met my best friend, Ali, the first day of 3rd grade.  We became friends immediately - glasses, perms, side ponytails, and all!

Over the past several years - ahem - we've gone through a lot together.   High school, first kisses, USC, heartbreak, falling in love, falling out of love, roommates, moving, weddings, and so much more.


(Kacey, me, Ali)



We have a lot in common.  One thing being cooking!  Ali introduced me to Ellie Krieger's cookbook "The Food You Crave" a year ago, and I love it!  She is a licensed nutritionist, and all her recipes are healthy and delicious.

When I stumbled across this recipe of Ellie's in a magazine, I knew I wanted to try it.  This one is DELICIOUS!!!  You have to try it :>)  

SESAME CHICKEN With SNOW PEAS

5 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
4 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp honey
1 and 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast (cut up into bite-sized chunks)
4 tsp canola oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp grated peeled ginger (I used the jarred version...so easy!)
3 cloves garlic
1 and 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp sugar (I used 2 packs of splenda)
3-4 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp chili paste (you could use red pepper flakes to get heat, too)
4 cups snow peas, trimmed
Cooked Brown Rice for serving (Opt.)
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (I bought a small jar of sesame seeds - didn't toast)


1.) Whisk 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp sesame oil, and honey in a bowl.  Toss in the chicken and marinate for 20 min.

2.) Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon.  Heat 2 tsp Canola Oil in a skillet over med-high heat.  Cook the chicken until browned.  Remove chicken and set aside.

3.)  Heat 2 more tsp canola oil in the skillet.  Add the scallions (Reserve some for garnish at end).  Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.  Whisk the broth, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, chili paste, and the remaining 2 tbsp soy sauce in bowl.  Add to the skillet and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3-4 minutes.  Stir in the remaining 2 tsp sesame oil.

4.)  Meanwhile, cook the snow peas in a steamer basket set over a few inches of boiling water until crisp-tender.  (I don't have a steamer basket - so I just sauteed them up in another skillet.)

5.)  Return the chicken to the skillet with the sauce and heat through.  Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.   Serve the chicken and snow peas on top of brown rice.  Top with more sesame seeds and reserved scallions.





xo,



No comments:

Post a Comment