"" Dream To Life: Napa Valley - A Day Of Tasting

Monday, June 11, 2012

Napa Valley - A Day Of Tasting

Farmstead Restaurant in St. Helena, California


Going to Napa for a relaxing couple days of great wine, great food, and great company is one of my favorite vacations.  With all the trips to San Fran I've been making the past 5 months, Napa was definitely on the list of must-do's.  While we have our favorite wineries that we tend to visit more often than not (Fantesca, ZD, Round Pond, Frank Family to name a few) - we decided to throw in a few new ones that we'd heard about but never been to.  I didn't bring my big camera on the trip and instead continued my obsession with Instagram...if you're not on the bandwagon, do yourself a favor and get on it! (Follow me on instagram! My username is katedreamtolife).





I highly recommend the restaurant we ate lunch at - Farmstead.  It's right of Highway 29.  The restaurant features a "farm to table menu highlighting local, sustainable and organic ingredients at their peak freshness" - Farmstead Restaurant  I sipped on a crisp, fresh Rose while Billy tried their seasonal margarita with fresh crushed strawberries.  Both our meals were fantastic - Risotto with asparagus, wild mushrooms, green garlic and fresh Parmesan with a fresh farm egg on top and a Pulled Pork sandwich with a cabbage and blue cheese slaw.  Oh, and we also had to have the famous Mac and Cheese.











The ambiance of the restaurant is fabulous, too.  It's rustic and comfortable, with gorgeous fresh flowers and a lovely patio (where we sat) with views of their gardens and olive oil tasting house.








After lunch we headed up the Silverado Trail to Duckhorn Vineyards.  Randomly enough I ran into some friends from Nashville there - crazy how you can go all the way across the country to see people from home! Duckhorn is nice if you want to chat with the group you are visiting with - it's not as interactive with the pourers as some tasting rooms.  I can appreciate both settings, but sometimes I love to chat with the people who know and love the wines.  I learn so much that way.





Next was a stop at  Rombauer Vineyards.  I had visited Rombauer 2 years ago when we went wine tasting for my Dad's 60th birthday.  The boys went golfing that day, so Billy had never been.  We drink Rombauer chardonnay with Billy's parents quite often, and some friends of ours served it at their wedding a while back, so Billy wanted to check it out.  The tasting room can be very crowded - but the gardens are lovely.  I suggest getting your wine at the outside tasting bar and roaming the gardens while you sip!








We finished up the day with a classic - Frank Family Vineyards.  Frank Family is owned by Rich Frank, longtime executive of Disney.  Their wines are fantastic and the tasting room is laid back and beautiful - no matter how many times we taste there, it never gets old!


Cheers!
K


2 comments:

  1. This really is a fabulous post, love. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still have never been to Napa. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete